Slit lamp biomicroscopy
by Azza Optometry Centre
Slit lamp exam is a standard diagnostic procedure, which is also known as biomicroscopy. A slit lamp combines a microscope with a very bright light. The slit lamp exam usually forms part of a comprehensive eye exam
A slit lamp exam can help diagnose the following conditions:
- macular degeneration, a chronic condition affecting the part of the eye that is responsible for central vision
- detached retina, a condition when the retina, which is an important layer of tissue at the back of the eye, becomes detached from its base
- cataracts, a clouding of the lens that negatively affects the ability to see images clearly
- injury to the cornea, an injury to one of the tissues that covers the surface of the eye
- blockages of the retinal vessel, obstructions in the eye’s blood vessels that can cause a sudden or gradual loss of vision.
If you have any sudden symptoms of blurriness or pain around the eye, please get your eye checked by an Optometrist nearby.